Starting on March 8, 2021, A. J. Johnson Consulting Services will be offering the online version of the Housing Credit Certified Professional (HCCP) exam. Unlike the in-person exam, the online exam will be offered on an ongoing basis and need not be taken immediately after a scheduled training.
The online exam fee will be $200.00, which is $25.00 higher than the fee for the in-person exam. This additional cost is necessary due to the cost of live proctoring that will take place during the exam. Access to the exam will be through the National Association of Homebuilders (NAHB) website. Detailed instructions regarding the registration process will be provided to registrants.
There are a few things to know for persons interested in taking the online version of the exam:
- After the exam is purchased from NAHB, it will be administered by Examity – an online testing service.
- Test-takers should register with Examity and schedule the exam about a week ahead of the desired testing date.
- There are specific technical requirements that you must meet in order to take the online exam, including (1) access to a desktop computer or laptop [tablets and Chromebooks may not be used]; (2) an Internet speed of at least 2Mbps upload and download; and (3) a working internal or external webcam and microphone.
- Online exams provide a different experience for test-takers. Conditions relating to the online HCCP exam include –
- You must be alone in the room;
- You must have a clear desk and area;
- You must be connected to a power source;
- You cannot have a phone with you or be wearing headphones;
- You cannot have dual monitors;
- You cannot leave your seat or room during the exam;
- There is no talking;
- Your webcam, speakers, and microphone must remain on throughout the test;
- You may have a handheld calculator, but it may not be a programmable calculator;
- You cannot wear a smartwatch during the exam (yes – the proctor will ask to look at your wrists);
- You may have a pen or pencil;
- You may have scrap paper with you which you will show to the proctor at the beginning and end of the exam session. It must be blank at the start of the exam. After the exam, you will need to show the proctor your scrap paper and then tear it up in front of your webcam; and
- Once finished with the exam, you will close out the window. The proctor will be online with you the entire time you are taking the exam and you are being recorded.
At this time, the online version of the exam is generally the only option for taking the exam. Once in-person training resumes, the paper version of the exam will be available again. The in-person, paper exams are $175 per person. Results for persons taking the in-person exams will be provided approximately six weeks after the exam is taken. Unofficial results of the online exam are available immediately after taking the exam. This is followed up with an official email from NAHB confirming the exam result.
A. J. Johnson will provide additional information regarding accessing the online exam during regular LIHTC training sessions. A list of upcoming training may be viewed on our website at www.ajjcs.net under “Training.”